Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Memories of Memaw

On Monday, July 7, 2014, just 9 months after the love of her life passed away, my Memaw went to be with the Lord as well. 


Vivian McCleskey was full of beauty and grace. She had the most beautiful soprano voice, the coziest lap - 



the most melodic laugh and cooked the most delicious food. I remember going to bake sales where there were people lined up just to buy her brownies, pound cakes and cookies.

 She loved to spoil her grand and great-grand children.


In fact, she loved all children. She was a very strong, very opinionated woman, but when she was talking to a child her voice and demeanor became sweet and tender. She would make special treat bags at Halloween for all of the neighborhood kids, she taught Sunday School and Vacation Bible School and would plan special outings for us -the grandkids- when we were little. 


Memaw loved to collect spoons. The dainty ones you find in souvenir shops. I remember when I was around 5 or 6 years old, I was playing in a park and on the ground was a silver spoon. It was just someone's old discarded silverware, but I cleaned it up and presented it to Memaw. She praised me for finding such a "beautiful treasure" and  hung it up right with all of the other spoons in her collection. 


Memaw had a commanding presence and a regal way about her that we will never forget. She was the boss - and she knew it! You never crossed Memaw - or else! 

She loved being a mom, grandmother and a preacher's wife. She loved and respected my Papaw so much and was so committed to their marriage. They would have celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary 4 days after she died. 


Memaw had diabetes and kidney failure. In the weeks before her death she had gone to the hospital for a hernia. While there, her intestines ruptured and then she had a major heart attack. She spent the last week of her life in a lot of pain and suffering. She was ready to "go home" and let us all know that it was time. She had words to say to all of us. She wanted Selah, especially, to know that sisters are a precious gift from God and that she needs to keep her sister close. 


I am so thankful for the 34 years I had to spend with this incredible woman. I am so glad she was such a big part of my life and that Gabe, Selah and Mig were able to know and love her, too. I was blessed by her love beyond words. Our family is thankful for the ultimate healing she received on July 7, but we will so miss our loving matriarch. 

No comments: