Friday, July 29, 2011

Homeschool 2011-2012, part 4

What About Selah and Miguel?


I have had a lot of people ask what Selah and Miguel do when I am homeschooling Gabriel. Selah loves to have school work to do, too. I always have an activity/worksheet for her to do. Sometimes it is a coloring page, sometime it is a letter search, sometimes it is just a blank sheet of paper for her to doodle on. Selah is learning to identify letters and make the corresponding sound for each letter. She also learns the ASL sign for each letter as she is learning it. I have found some great (FREE) resources for her to use at www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com and www.abcjesuslovesme.com Usually Selah does her "school work" and then finds something to play with on her own. If she gets bored I let her watch an episode of Super Why on PBS or play on my iPod. Really, you would be suprised at how much of the school day she can participate in. She LOVES circle time and listening to the stories Gabriel is reading as part of his reading, phonics, history and science lessons.

Miguel is the tough one! Luckily he is a good napper! He naps for a good hour and a half in the morning during Gabriel's Math time and again in the afternoon. While he is awake, he plays by himself or is held by me. I'm looking forward to the time when he can pretend school like Selah or that he and Selah can play together. Until then, we just keep plugging along, getting what we can get done while he is happily playing or sleeping!

No comments: