Monday, August 1, 2011

Homeschool 2011-2012, part 5

Here are pictures of Gabe and Selah on their first day of Home School 2010-2011!!
We survived - and ENJOYED it!




I thought today would be a good day to talk curriculum...especially since I have had a day to actually use it!

Spelling:  I am using the 1st grade lists from K12reader.com. It uses a mix of word families and Dolch Sight words...it is kind of easy for him, but I think the extra spelling practice will be good when he is writing, even though they are on the easy side.
Math: Saxon Math, first grade. I like this program because it uses manipulatives and goes all the way to the high school years - so it is vertically aligned well. It also does a good job reviewing regularly. I used Saxon when I taught public school and the students really liked it, too.
Phonics: ProgressivePhonics.com - this is a free phonics program we started last year and lack about 5 weeks before completing the Advanced program. Gabe loves reading the silly stories and they do a great job making it interesting.
Grammar: First Language Lessons by Susan Wise Bauer.
Reading: Ambleside Online. This is also a free site with a week by week curriculum for each grade level. Each book is a classic and you can find most of them for free through Google's e-books!
History: The Mystery of History - I LOVE this book!!
Science: The Usborne Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Natural World, More Mudpies to Magnets, The Human Body: a first discovery book, Everybody Has a Body, and Extraordinary Plants by Taylor. These were all recommended by The Well Trained Mind.
Art: Drawing With Children by Mona Brooke
Spanish: DK Spanish book
Music: Gabe is learning theory through both violin and piano lessons.

Whew! The thing about curriculum choice is that there is now a lot for a homeschooling parent to choose from. It is easy to second guess your choice. Just remember that the curriculum is a basis for the education - not the be all, end all. When I taught, I didn't always get to choose the curriculum I taught from, but I used it as a guide. That is what I intend to do with my choices in home schooling curriculum, too!

Our day was great and gets me excited for a fun, enjoyable year teaching my biggest blessings!

No comments: