Wednesday, September 11, 2013

90 and Counting

This Saturday the crew and I headed to McKinney, TX to help celebrate a very special birthday!


My grandfather's second(?) cousin, Margie, turned 90!! I have never been to a 90th birthday before and counted it a privilege to be able to help her celebrate hers!


OK - does she look 90 to you!?! She looks at least 15 years younger than she is! 


I met Margie when I was a senior in high school. It was our first Sunday at the First United Methodist Church of Belton, TX and I walked in the door leading to the fellowship hall. Margie was standing there and said, "You must be a McCleskey! You look just like your Aunt Mildred." I had no idea who she was or that we had any family in Belton. She then introduced herself as my cousin. Over the next 5 or 6 years Byron and I would go visit "cousin" Margie and her husband Jim various times. After Jim passed away, Margie moved to McKinney, TX to be closer to her daughter in a nursing home. 


Margie never forgets to send me or my children a birthday card and sometimes sends cards just because she was thinking of us. She is an inspiration, always happy, always smiling, and mentally she is as smart as a tack. She enjoys the nursing home and is actively involved in the activities there (though I hear that many residents will no longer play games with her because she is the only one that remembers how to add and subtract and wins every time!) Margie is the type of person that makes growing older look good!

Thank you, Margie for being an inspiration to us all!

No comments: