Saturday, August 17, 2013

A BIG Announcement

Yes - yet again our family is about to grow! It is our pleasure to finally announce that we are in the process of adopting a little girl from China!!! I have taken parts from each of our autobiographies written for our homestudy to tell the story of how we came to the decision to adopt in each of our own words. The pink text is from my autobiography and the blue is from Byron's. I believe together they show our heart toward adoption.

I remember always being compassionate about the orphaned. As long as I can remember, I have had a desire to adopt. When we were trying to become parents the first time, we experienced some issues with fertility. That is when we really considered adoption as a couple

After 2 years of not conceiving, the thought entered our minds about needing to adopt a child if we were to have a family. One day, Michelle came to have lunch with me at work where she announced that she was pregnant. The thoughts of adoption were suppressed.

I had already begun my graduate work toward a Master’s of Business Administration (MBA) at UMHB when Gabriel was born. One of my MBA requirements was to take an international trip and study global businesses. UMHB sponsored a trip to China. It was in Beijing where I saw little children running in the streets and the thoughts of adoption came rushing back. The thoughts were soon suppressed.

Over the years since 2003, Michelle and I would share looks when the topic of adoption would be raised; when people we meet were adopted; when announcements were made about other families adopting. Still, the thoughts were suppressed. Adoption has been, and still is very much, on our hearts. Yes—even after having Selah and Miguel.

Adoption is something Michelle and I can no longer suppress. My heart has never recovered since seeing the children on the streets of Beijing. It is our desire to welcome a waiting child in China into our home so she may receive love, compassion, opportunities, values and a forever family. 
I am very excited about this new journey we are taking as a family as we seek a child through adoption. Our children cannot wait to have a new little sister and our friends and family have shown excitement and support as well. I am looking forward with anticipation the moment I get to meet my daughter and look into her eyes for the very first time. 



Our process is just beginning. We have just completed our home study and have just a few things left to accomplish before our paperwork is even sent to China. We haven't been what the adoption world calls "matched" (or referred) to a specific child yet, but have requested a girl between the ages of 0 to 3 years old with special needs. We aren't sure when we will be able to go to China to bring our little one home, but are expecting it to be sometime in the coming spring. Our children are so excited about the adoption - they pray for "little sister" everyday and talk about her often.
We will keep the blog updated as we progress through the process, so keep checking back. Most of all, keep us in your prayers as the whole process has been, in so many ways, a lesson of trusting God as he leads us through this path to adoption.
The Bible uses many illustrations to show our relationship with God. Marriage is used to depict the relationship between Christ and the Church (the bride of Christ). Adoption is another great picture of His love for us. When we trust Him as our Savior we become adopted sons and daughters of Christ!!! (Romans 8:14-17)
No, I will not abandon you or leave you as orphans. I will come to you. John 14:18
He predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will. Ephesians 1:5

No comments: