Monday, April 9, 2018

Happy Easter Fool's Day!

Byron had an awesome opportunity to go to Romania to teach an Old Testament Survey class. He left on Good Friday and was there for a week. 


Since Byron wouldn't be with us for Easter, the kids and I decided to go down to Belton to spend Easter weekend with my parents. 






The kids were excited about their Easter baskets and we had donut empty tombs for breakfast. We even made Resurrection cookies and ate them for breakfast, too. 


After breakfast everyone started getting ready for the day. I had finished getting dressed and was chatting with my mom in the kitchen when Gabe walked in holding the side of his face which was dripping blood. He very calmly said, "The ceiling fan hit me in the head". My mom started going into hyper-drive motion, but my sister, Amanda, and I just stared at him. Both of us thought he made some pretty awesome costume make-up and was pulling an April Fool's Day trick since this year Easter was on April Fool's Day. 

Finally, I looked into his eyes and firmly said, "Gabe, if this is an April Fool, you better tell me right now." 
He replied, "Mom, I promise. I am NOT fooling!". 

Gabe had been on the top bunk in the kids room in my parent's house. PopPop had put a switch cover over the fan switch so that no one could turn the fan on by accident. Well, the ever curious Mig, wanted to know exactly what that switch did and messed with the switch cover turning on the fan. Since the fan is never on in that room, it didn't even occur to Gabe to watch out for it when he was taking his books and things off that bed to pack up. 

Amanda and I sprang into action. Mom guided him to the couch, I grabbed a wet washcloth for his head and Amanda started cleaning the floor where blood had dripped as he stood there. 

After seeing the gash in his forehead, we felt a little better. It wasn't as bad as all of the blood made it seem, but we decided that he needed to go to Urgent Care. I grabbed his shoes, my purse and the keys and Amanda carried him to the van. 

Gabe was scared, but smiled the whole time we were in Urgent Care. 




After the doctor looked at it, he decided that he would need 3 stitches. 


We were in and out of Urgent Care in time for a big Easter lunch! 

When we got home, we had a little Easter service in the living room. 

After lunch it was time for fun!! What is Easter without an egg hunt?!?





The adults had as much fun watching the hunt as the kids did hunting. 


Mig found the golden prize egg. 





After the egg hunt, the kids had a confetti egg war!




The only rule was NOT to hit Gabe in the head with the confetti eggs. Mig very gently broke one over Gabe's head and sprinkled the confetti all over him. 



After the fun, it was time for dessert and presents for the birthday boy! 
Amanda and I made lemon meringue pies for him.



Despite a rough morning, we had a great Easter. It was so fun to spend it in Belton!

My hero for the day was Amanda!! I was so glad she was there to sit with us at Urgent Care. I was trying so hard to be calm for Gabe, though I was completely freaked out. She helped me stay level headed and didn't even make fun of me for forgetting our address as we checked Gabe in! I have never had to deal with an emergency without Byron - let alone him being out of the country. I'm so thankful that she and my parents were there to help us all out.


And here is a sweet picture of the kids and I in our Easter clothes. Thank you, Momma, for getting all of the blood out of Gabe's outfit so fast!! 


It was definitely an Easter to remember!

No comments: